License Cancellation Requests
Your License Agreement binds you financially to your housing assignment for the entire license term. If you would like to request a release from the financial responsibility of your housing assignment you must complete a License Cancellation Request Form. There is no requirement for UM Housing to allow release of the License Agreement outside the terms stated in the agreement. A release from the License Agreement depends on the approval of this request. All requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, therefore please allow at least 15 business days for a decision to be made and communicated to you in writing. Please be clear in providing your current contact information and attach the required supporting documentation.
License Agreement Release (LAR) Request Guidelines
- You are requesting a release of your financial obligation for the current license term with respect to your housing assignment.
- Choosing to leave your housing assignment does not release you of your financial obligations agreed to by your original license agreement. Your license agreement is for the entire license term.
- If your request to be released from the license agreement is approved your room charges will be adjusted based on your official release date and your signed move out form. Please be mindful that you are not paying monthly rent so your financial obligation is not pro-rated on a daily basis. Your account will be adjusted by a proportion of your remaining installments due.
- No financial adjustments will be made and no refunds will be granted for approved LARs with check-out dates on or after September 6th for Fall releases.
- No financial adjustments will be made and no refunds will be granted for approved LARs with check out dates on or after February 4th for Spring releases.
- If your request is denied you are fully responsible for all of your license fees for the entire license term. Should you check out of UM Housing prior to a decision on your LAR request and later opt to return following a denial please be aware that your original assignment may not be available. Re-assignment will be made based on availability.
- Submit the completed LAR request and required documentation to the UM Housing Office; attn. Director of Housing at 518 W Fayette Street.
- You will be notified via e-mail with our final decision.
- Allow at least fifteen business days from date of approval or date of official check-out following approval, whichever is later, for adjustments to be posted to your housing account.
Required Documentation for LAR Review
- Graduation - Official communication confirming graduation and confirmation of employment or course of study requiring you to be more than 30 miles from campus.
- Official communication from associated school confirming academic internship or study abroad program dates requiring students to live off campus and confirming that the academic internship program is located more than 30 miles from campus.
- Military Duty Activation - Official United States document ordering military duty
- Other:Please circle which option you are submitting as reason for request:
- Letter from student detailing circumstances and:
- Medical: Letter from a physician who has been treating the individual providing justification and specifying the special accommodation or need of the resident which cannot be met by UM Housing (must be a verifiable medical reason). Corroboration from a second physician may be required.
- Financial Hardship: Student must provide proof of a substantial change in the person’s financial situation from the time the license agreement was signed to present (i.e. bank statements, employment termination letter etc.), must have exhausted all available options for obtaining financial aid (including taking out loans from private providers), and must be moving to the home of a parent or guardian whose primary residence is located within 30 miles of the UM Campus. Student should submit a copy of their “Award Package by Academic Year” that can be printed off of SURFs.
- Other: If your reason does not fall within one of the above categories and fulfill the required guidelines, your request will not be considered until such time that UM Housing can transfer your license to a qualified applicant on a wait list (UM Housing must have no vacancies for this option).
Schedule of Financial Responsibility (in accordance with UM Policy)
- Approved move-out during 1st week after check-in: No liability for license agreement fee
- Approved move-out during 2nd week after check-in: Liable for 33.3% of license agreement fee
- Approved move-out during 3rd week after check-in: Liable for 66.7% of license agreement fee
- Approved move-out starting 4th week after check-in: Liable for 100% of license agreement fee
- Unapproved move-out: Liable for 100% of license agreement fee